Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Expensive toys

walet

Reaction score
I am sure that many of the parents here was in the situation when they had to buy an expensive toy for its kid even if they could not afford to. My son wanted a robot for last Christmas, the robot cost was around 120 dollars, for me it was very expensive but I had to buy it.
Now he wants to buy him a remote car on gasoline, this car is over 800 dollars, I can't afford to buy it, I already told him so and now he is upset with me and he doesn't talk to me and its mother, how can I make him to understand that we do not have the money and we will never have that money, he thinks we don't love him anymore.
It is sad and he broke my heart when I see him like that!

jenfrancisco26

Reaction score
Talking to him with sincerity and explaining to him that you can't afford it but it doesn't mean that you don't love him. Surely he will understand if you will explain it to him with love and as a parent. Make him realize that whatever you will give to him on Christmas let him be just thankful on what he receive.

treecko142

Reaction score
Well, it's important that at a young age he understands that everything has a cost and that not everything will just be given to him. 120 dollars is already very expensive especially for a young child and when you're not that rich, and he may grow up thinking that he can just obtain whatever he wants, which can cause problems down the road when he's managing his own finances. Maybe try to buy a different toy that looks almost the same as the one he wants but for a much lower price, to also teach him that there are cheaper alternatives that can be good which means that he can have more toys to choose from. But it's really important as a parent to know when to say no to your child, not the other way around.

acefunko001

Reaction score
I didn’t have the good fortune to be that wealthy and buy expensive toys. I am lucky though to have an uncle who was a Captain for merchant ships. He brought lots of stuffs whenever he comes home and I was lucky enough to have been given some expensive toy brands like Tonka and Fisher Price which I know are expensive.
I got a small Tonka dump truck when I was in the 2nd grade and a Fisher Price music box too.

I couldn’t remember the other toys, but I’m sure I also had a bike, a knapsack, war books, branded rubber shoes, and other imported items that were relatively expensive compared to the local brands.

These expensive toys were really durable and last for years. I remember my Tonka truck that I rode myself and ran. In other words, expensive toys are really worth it, if you can afford their price.

MomoStarr16

Reaction score
Is it really hard to understand a toy collector especially if they are buying those expensive toys. But if you have the money then it is not wrong to buy. But if you only have a right amount to provide for yourself, it is not right to buy toys first.

superman2727

Reaction score
Nerf guns are expensive tho. For me, Nerf guns are not worth to buy with its price since Nerf's just contains soft bullets to play for. I'm quite impressed on the mechanism with it and how it works but it's too expensive to buy. But if you have budget, why not. I'm sure that your child will like that.

bienn05

Reaction score
Be honest with your son. Tell him while he is still young that all things that he wants will not always be for him. Always teach him a lesson about controlling himself for all the things he wanted. Not all things he wanted will be granted all the time. Do it until he is young or he will develop bad attitude.

Top Bottom